As a hurricane approaches
As a Hurricane Approaches
If a hurricane is likely in your area, you should:
- Stay informed by monitoring the storm via local radio, NOAA radio, TV, and internet. Listen for alerts to evacuate.
- Secure your home and close storm shutters. Even awnings can be broken and picked up by strong winds and potentially become a projectile.
- Bring all lawn furniture, grills, trash barrels, bikes, hanging plants, toys, and gardening tools inside or tied down in a secure spot.
- Turn off utilities if instructed by authorities to do so. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator and freezer thermostat to its coldest setting and keep its doors closed.
- Move freezable items from the fridge to the freezer.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Ideally, move any electronics to higher shelves to keep away from water damage.
- Have your cell phone on a charger so it’s ready to go. Then avoid using the phone except for serious emergencies.
- Remember: Have a certain amount of cash available. If power is lost, ATMs may not be working.
- Moor your boat if time permits.
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets. Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
- Have on hand: fire extinguisher, emergency/first aid kit, prescription medicines, flashlight/batteries, blankets/sleeping bags, cooking/eating utensils, canned foods, water bottles, jumper cables, paper maps, GPS, toilet paper, toiletries, rain gear,
- Stay inside.
SERVPRO of Grand Prairie is here for all of your restoration needs.